Skips, scaffolds, hoardings, materials and plant

Rules for skips, scaffolding and other items on the highway

The commonest things that need to be licensed are:

  • Hippobags or other skip-bags (covered by a Materials/Plant Licence)

  • building materials and plant (both those bought direct from builders’ merchants and materials / items ordered or used by contractors). Note that any sand, soil, gravel or other loose material has to be bagged or contained. Failing to do this can result in the responsible person being billed for clearing any drains affected
  • containers and welfare units
  • skips
  • scaffolds
  • hoardings
  • Cranes or Mobile elevated work platforms

All skips on the highway need to be marked with the name of the skip company and their 24-hour contact number. For safety reasons, each end of the skip facing traffic must be painted yellow and have two areas of reflective markings.

Every scaffold and hoarding on the highway has to display a brightly coloured licence, visible from street level. They also have to be identified with both the name of the contractor and a 24-hour contact number. In addition, all upright poles on the highway should have reflective tape fitted or be painted to aid visibility.  Some, but not all, items will need to have lights.

Items place in controlled parking zones will also require a parking bay suspension before a licence is issued.

Regular visits by the council's Highway Enforcement Officers take place over the city to check that sites are licensed and that licensees are operating under the agreed conditions.

  • For further information please call 01273 291701
two full skips